Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Brett Rogers wanted, but Strikeforce still searching for final main-card fight

Originally posted on

With less than a month until Strikeforce's debut on Showtime with the April 11 "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" card, the organization's search for its fifth and final-main card bout continues.

While a heavyweight fight between former EliteXC fighter Brett Rogers (8-0) and Ron Humphries (5-0) was originally expected to take the slot, Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today told it simply remains an option.

"It's possible," Afromowitz said. "But it's not definite. There's not just one person making the decision."

On Wednesday first reported that the Rogers vs. Humphries fight had been signed. Sources close to the fighters then confirmed the news with However, later in the day, Afromowitz said that wasn't the case.

"You know how the guys get," Afromowitz told ( on Wednesday. "[The fight signing] gets close, and everyone gets excited and starts talking and saying it's done. But it's not signed."

Strikeforce acquired Rogers, who's undefeated with first-round stoppages in every one of his career fights, when the organization purchased select assets from ProElite, the parent company of the now-defunct EliteXC organization, earlier this year. Rogers was one of the organization's top stars and defeated Jon Murphy in the first-ever MMA fight televised on major U.S. network television.

However, Rogers hasn't fought since that May 31 EliteXC event on CBS.

Afromowitz said event organizers want to get Rogers on the April 11 card. However, he couldn't elaborate on what exactly is holding up the fight with Humphries from being signed.

Regardless, Rogers remains a priority.

"We'd like to have Brett (on the card); that's for sure," Afromowitz said. "We could scrap the fight (with Humphries) all together, or we could find a different opponent. We just have to find the right fit."

Click here to read the entire article at



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home