Monday, July 27, 2009

Hieron Navigate Affliction Fallout

Originally Sherdog.com

Affliction Entertainment, partnered with M-1 Global, announced Friday that it had cancelled its Aug. 1 event, leaving Vitor Belfort, Jay Hieron, Chris Horodecki, and Mark Hominick without a much-needed paycheck.

“Where we are right now with all the fighters, is their managers and lawyers are looking at how (the fighters) are going to be compensated for lack of a fight,” said Tompkins.

One source told Sherdog.com Friday that the clothing purveyors-turned-promoters are offering T-shirt deals to the ousted fighters to help offset their losses.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio could not be reached for comment, while Tompkins said he had no knowledge of these dealings.

“I know that there’s a big difference between postponing a fight and canceling a fight when it comes to your contracts and what the fighters deserve,” said Tompkins.

Hieron, who became the International Fight League’s 170-pound titleholder, only to watch the promotion go under over the course of 30 months, said he was anxious to find out how Affliction will handle the 22-fighter roster affected by the cancellation.

“I know we all put our lives on hold, and bills stacked up for these fights,” said Hieron. “I paid my trainers, my sparring partners for this fight.”

Hieron’s manager, Ken Pavia, didn't have much time to talk about the fallout, though for a good reason. Hieron’s name has been thrown in the hat as a potential replacement For Joe Riggs, who withdrew Thursday from his Strikeforce 170-pound title fight against Nick Diaz on Aug. 15 due to a reaction to medication, and Pavia is in swift negotiations with the promotion.

Click here to read the entire article on Sherdog.com

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-ya i'm fresh to this. I hit upon this website I find It vastly accessible & it's helped me out a lot. I should be able to contribute & help other users like its helped me.

Cheers all, See You Later.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's Happening i'm new here, I came accross this message board I have found It quite useful & it has helped me so much. I hope to contribute and aid others like it has helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See You Around.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home