BRAD BLACKBURN PLANS UFC RETURN IN 2010
October 21, 2009
Originally posted on MMAweekly.com
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight "Bad" Brad Blackburn recently signed a new multi-fight deal with the organization and expects to return to UFC action in early 2010.
“I am going to be fighting in January or February,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “I already called them. I called the UFC last week. I said, ‘I can fight January 30th on.’ I’m trying to fight for a living now, and give it 100-percent. I’m not trying to be a spectator. I’ve been feeling like a spectator lately.”
Blackburn revitalized his career in the now defunct International Fight League and has a 3-0 record since landing the UFC. In his last bout, against Edgar Garcia at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale in June, Blackburn suffered an injury to his right shoulder in the first round that required surgery to correct.
“Of course it takes a while with the surgery that I had, but it’s feeling good right now,” said the 32-year-old fighter. “I’m happy with the result so far. I can spar. I can hit the pads. I can grapple. I don’t feel comfortable wrestling yet. There’s a few things I can’t do grappling, but for the most part I’m training again. I expect to be close to 100-percent within a month.”
Coming off layoff and surgery, Blackburn wants to pick up where he left off, stepping up in competition to face a Top 10 ranked opponent in his return.
“It has to be a big name. It has to be Top 10. If it’s not Top 10, it has to be a really big name or I’m not going to take it because I’ve fought guys Top 15 and that’s what I’ve been doing,” he said. “I’ve been ranked around that area and because of my injuries I get pushed back again in the rankings, but it’s like, okay, I’ve done that and now it’s time to go Top 10. I want Top 10.”
Blackburn has a 15-9-1 professional mixed martial arts record and recently re-signed with the UFC, inking a four-fight deal.