Thursday, June 05, 2008

"Razor Rob" wants WEC title-fight rematch with Jamie Varner



Originally Posted by John Morgan on Jun 05, 2008 at 9:15 am ET

WEC lightweight "Razor" Rob McCullough (16-4) was able to avenge the first loss of his career with a split-decision victory over Kenneth Alexander this past Sunday night. Now the 31-year-old hopes to avenge a more stinging defeat: the February loss of his WEC lightweight title to Jamie Varner.

McCullough talked about his victory and a shot at redemption on Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"It felt great," McCullough said of his performance. "At one point I realized I got this fight, dude. He's moving backward and away from me. I wanted to rush in and clip him. You know, do something stupid. Then I went, 'Eh, I'll just wait for him to shoot and try and knee him in the face.'"

The cautious performance earned the Huntington Beach fighter the victory, but it did little to win over the fans in attendance. McCullough said he was too focused to notice the booing coming from the ARCO Arena seating.

"In smaller arenas, when I fight it seems like I can hear people in the crowd," McCullough explained. "I hear random people saying stuff and I can really listen to them. And before, I'd hear booing and I'd be like, 'Oh, I've got to pick up the pace here.' And that's when I would do something like a flying punch or something. I kind of was like so in the zone for this one. I was so focused that I kind of cut everything out when the bell rang. ... So, everything went out the window, and I was zoned in on him, and I didn't really hear too much. So that was kind of a good thing."

McCullough attributed the slow pace of the fight to Alexander's unwillingness to engage.

"[Alexander] is awkward; I give him that," McCullough said. "He didn't fight orthodox. He kept moving his hands all weird. He didn't throw any combinations. ... He didn't really want to fight, though. It was more back-peddling on roller skates. It's hard for me to plant and try to get anything solid. When he did stop, I would kick him, and then he would move again."

With the win, McCullough feels he is close to earning a shot at reclaiming the belt he once held. And he knows exactly who he'd like to beat in order to get it.

"I'd like to get another 'W' and go for that belt," McCullough said. "(And) I'd like to get it from Jamie Varner if he can hold on to it. I'd like to rematch that guy for sure."

McCullough also discussed the value of holding fight cards in Las Vegas rather than traveling around the country, as well as his take on the busy weekend in MMA. To hear the full interview, download Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

This story, written by John Morgan, was produced by TAGG Radio specially for MMAjunkie.com. The show -- which is hosted by fighter/broadcaster Frank Trigg, Gorgeous George and ace producer Goze -- books some of the biggest names in MMA. Download all the former episodes at www.taggradio.com, or tune into TAGG Radio's live shows Monday-Friday at noon ET/9 a.m. PT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home